May 2013 – Workers were summoned to repair a slight ground failure in the Desjardins Groupe general insurance’s parking lot, in Lévis. But the cavity was more impressive than expected. The workers were speechless: in front of them were the remains of Fort Number 2, which had almost been forgotten since the construction of Desjardins home office in 1965. Desjardins notified the Ministry of Culture and Communications, as well as several specialists to investigate the discovery. The remains matched the south-west fortification, an underground system used to protect the trenches around the fort.
According to the experts, these remains were valuable. If the shooting galleries were only slightly collapsed, the tunnels and the gunpowder storage room where in a fairly good condition. Fort N.2 is one the three forts built by the British colony in Lévis, within 1865 and 1872, to defend Québec from an american invasion, that actually never took place. Quickly fallen into obsolescence, the fort served as a stocking place for military equipment and material.
In the course of time, it is used for various functions, including a municipal baseball stadium and even a mushroom farm. In 1964, the Canadian government sells the fort to the Caisses Populaires Insurance Company who transforms the site to build its headquarters.
The archeological remains of Fort N.2 represents a part of our military history in the same ways as other sites open to the public, such as Fort N.1 in Lévis and the Citadel of Québec.